On June 25th, from 8 am – 12 pm, Rockdale Medical Center will hold vascular screenings. This is a simple, non-invasive health test which will provide the participant with information regarding circulatory health. The cost is $75 in advance and $99 on the day of the screening. If you partake, you will go home with results about your heart rhythm, the health of your neck and leg arteries, your blood pressure and fitness. The tests include:
- Ultrasound –shows the flow of blood in neck arteries that go in front of the brain
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) – shows any blockages in leg arteries
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) – checks for expansion or ballooning of the abdominal aorta
To schedule an appointment, please call 678-806-3500. To learn more about the circulatory system and vascular health, please continue to read.
Vascular Health refers to circulatory health, or the health of the circulatory system. The circulatory system is made up of the arteries that the heart uses to pump blood through the entire body. Vascular disease is any condition that affects the circulatory system. Vascular disease includes:
- Peripheral artery disease (or PAD)
- Varicose veins
- Artery blockage
- Kidney disease
Vascular disease can do all sorts of damage to the circulatory system, including changing one’s life for worse. Varicose veins can cause great discomfort and artery blockage can cause a stroke or blood clot.
It is very important to stay on top of your circulatory health. Understand your risk factors, such as cigarette smoking and tobacco use can cause PAD, Here are some tips to get you on your way.
- As the package says, “Quitting smoking now will greatly reduce risks to your health.” Smoking is one of the greatest causes of PAD.
- Eat a diet low in cholesterol and saturated fats.
- Join an exercise program. Daily walking will get your blood flowing and your heart pumping, making for a cleaner flowing system.
- If you are overweight, take hold of some of the tips listed above, such as changing your diet and exercising.
Another important act you can take to ensure the best circulatory health is to come to Rockdale Medical Center on the 25th of June for the vascular health screening. See you then!