Wall Street Conyers and Amici restaurant are hosting an event to raise awareness and funds for Prevent Child Abuse (PCA) Rockdale. The event will be held at Amici (www.amici-cafe.com) in the Corner Market Shopping Center in Conyers on April 21, beginning at 5:30 p.m.
You may be wondering why all the commotion for PCA Rockdale? It’s quite simple really; there is a massive need for our children and families in Rockdale.
If you have not had the opportunity to speak with Director Diane Howington and her amazing team of children and family advocates you will completely understand the importance of PCA. They truly ingrain themselves into the lives of “OUR” neighbors by offering them assistance before, during, and after their time of need (http://www.pcarockdale.org).
PCA has been dedicated to ensuring that all children are raised in a safe, loving, and nurturing home free from all forms of abuse and neglect since 1989. Child abuse and neglect are tragic realities within millions of families worldwide. Each day children are abandoned, neglected, beaten, and sexually abused. Georgia falls at or near the bottom of the 50 states in a number of areas affecting the quality of life in the state including unemployment, poverty, crime, illness and mortality:
- 40th among states in percent of babies born at low birth weight;
- 43rd among states in infant mortality;
- A child is killed by gunfire in Georgia every three days; and,
- In 2007 there were 92,185 children involved in Division of Family and Children Services investigations of maltreatment in Georgia–50% were children ages birth to 7 years old.
(According to Protective Services Data System 2007 Annual Report, Georgia Department of Human Resources)
In addition, $1.25 million was cut from prevention funding in Georgia in 2002, a move that prompted state social service agencies to spend 99% of their government funding for intervention, treatment, and care of abused and neglected children, leaving only 1% for prevention. Therefore, it is critical for agencies, such as PCA Rockdale, to provide prevention education and services to the community. Prevention happens before abuse and violence.
Positive experiences as a result of a nurturing parent style build strong character and sense of self-worth in children. Nurturing parenting employs nurturing touch, empathy, empowerment, and unconditional love to promote the overall health of a child. Conversely, abusive parenting processes such as hitting, belittling, and neglecting basic needs have a negative impact. Researchers have found that there are four common behaviors among abusive parents:
- Inappropriate developmental expectations of the child;
- Lack of empathy toward children’s needs;
- Strong belief in the value of physical punishment; and,
- Expectation children should be sensitive to the parent’s needs and responsible for their happiness.
The evening will include appetizers, wings, pizza, trivia, live music by Anthony Crane and Dustin Bragg, and an unforgettable Silent Auction.
Tickets for this fundraising event are $50 each or two for $90. You may also purchase t-shirts at $20 each. Donations of silent auction items are greatly appreciated.
Please contact Katie Beam, Wall Street Conyers’ Director of Marketing, member of the PCA Rockdale board of directors, and chairperson of the fundraising committee, at 770.922.1090 for more information.
“We are proud to work with PCA Rockdale, Amici, and all the sponsors and patrons to raise money for this important cause,” said Beam. “It will be a fun event and tickets are going fast, so be sure to reserve your space now to support PCA Rockdale.”
To register for this event, please make your reservation through Eventbrite (https://pcarockdale.eventbrite.com) or contact Beam for more information.
Prevent Child Abuse Rockdale is a non-profit, chartered council of a statewide organization dedicated to preventing child abuse. Located in Conyers, Georgia in the Greater Atlanta Metropolitan Area, PCAR leads, supports, and coordinates citizens and professionals in a comprehensive effort to end child abuse.
Our Mission is to prevent child abuse and neglect in all forms. For more information, visit www.pcarockdale.org