Will You Hire a REALTOR® to Buy Your Home?
I’ve written previously about the reasons you should hire a professional REALTOR® when selling your home and it comes down to some simple facts when considering a For Sale By Owner (FSBO):
- It’s true you can save the sales commission by doing it yourself, but statistics show that FSBO sale prices are about 9-12% lower than those transacted with the assistance of a REALTOR®. That does not consider any costs, like signage or advertising that usually are incurred with the process.
- The average sales cycle for a FSBO is considerably longer – as much as 12-14 months – and many times you’ll see those FSBO signs replaced by a REALTOR® sign after that.
- There is extensive paperwork and reports needing to be processed which will require significant time spent on your part, which are prepared with little, if any, work on your part by your REALTOR®.
So it seems to be crystal clear why you should hire a professional to sell your home, but what about buying one? Hmmmm.
The easy answer is absolutely. But again, you think about that commission you’ll have to forfeit and wonder, “Why do I need someone? I can drive around and find a neighborhood I like then search for homes for sale? I can look at Zillow.com and those local real estate sale magazines and avoid forking over that money. Besides, the seller is using an agent and a closing attorney, so I’m covered, right?”
- Well, buyers and sellers are natural adversaries, so you’ll be faced with negotiating with a seasoned real estate pro, and a seller who is trying to get the highest sale amount from the transaction while your goal is to get the least price. Most agents are skilled negotiators which helps you stay emotionally detached from the process.
- They lower your vulnerability, have extensive knowledge of the local market and work for you at their own risk. Often, houses may be available for sale and even under contract by the time there is any “public” information out there, which will give you an advantage if you have hired a REALTOR®.
- The National Association of Realtors is the only lobbying group on Capitol Hill that keeps your homeowner benefits from deteriorating, thereby enabling more than 67% of the country’s population to afford and enjoy home ownership.
I could list many more advantages and disadvantages but the easiest and most successful real estate transactions start and close with professional realtors. I’ve chosen just a select few to help you think about why you should too.
And for either transaction – buying or selling – doesn’t it make sense to hire someone who is involved with 50, 60 or 100 home sales each year rather than just two or three?
We are professionals at Deon Cannon Realty, and we’re here to serve your real estate needs. Call us at (404) 630-2985 and we’ll work with you right now to develop a strong and sensible plan to sell your home or find the one that’s absolutely perfect for you.