If you are like most people, you have been putting something off that you know you need to get done. In fact, I bet right this minute you could name three things you’ve been putting off for at least three months. Losing weight? Sorting receipts for your taxes? Asking for a raise?
Have you noticed that when you procrastinate for extended periods of time you begin to engage in negative self-talk? This is a sure way to deflate your confidence. When task aren’t complete it creates a menacing cloud over our head, sending us messages that we are lazy, afraid, incapable, etc. We can buy into these negative messages, or take the task by the horns and get it done!
As we close-out other year and begin a new, here are seven steps to overcome procrastination and build up your confidence:
- Make a list of all the tasks you have been putting off.
- Prioritize what is most important and what can wait.
- From the tasks that are most important, prioritize them based on what can be completed easily and what requires more time and effort.
- Create action steps needed to accomplish each task (small steps).
- Monitor your progress and scratch completed items off your list.
- Get the support you need. If you are uncertain of the best way to approach a task, ask a friend – or an expert.
- Plan rewards and celebrations for accomplishing small and large tasks.
Create your list today, start taking action, and kick off the new year taking charge of your life!!