The Rockdale County 2011 Special Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) Oversight Committee held its final meeting on Monday, March 27, 2017 to honor the committee members for their hard work and celebrate the accomplishments as committee.
Chairman Oz Nesbitt, Sr. and Rockdale County Department Directors showed appreciation for the time, energy, and dedicated public service the Oversight Committee members committed to Rockdale by presenting them with certificates of appreciation and serving them dinner at the final meeting for the 2011 SPLOST.
Beginning in April 2011 and ending in March of 2017, SPLOST collected $81.9 million to fund improvements to roads, facilities, water structures, and emergency services. The Board of Commissioners (BOC) appointed Oversight Committee, through seven subcommittees – Communication, Finance, Fire and E911, Parks and Recreation, Sheriff and Jail, Transportation, and Water – oversaw the allocation of the 2011 SPLOST funds to complete several major County projects including:
- Transportation – The widening of Old Covington Highway under Highway 138 and the widening of Parker Road from Flat Shoals to Highway 138. In addition, 98 roads were resurfaced, 138 roads were maintained and bridge maintenance was performed on all County bridges, including structural upgrades to Honey Creek Bridge over Snapping Shoals Creek.
- Sheriff and Jail – The remodeling of the old jail and the relocation of the South Side Precinct to a newly purchased and renovated building.
- Fire and E911 – 911 Operating System upgrade from analog to digital, 2 Engine Pumpers and the future construction of Fire Stations 2 and 3.
- Parks and Recreation – Upgrades to the Senior Center, a new sewer system for Johnson Park, upgrades and renovations to all park facilities, the construction of Milstead Park. Johnson Park Recreation Center renovations and future new gym construction, and the 10 mile South River Trail project.
- Water – completion and relocation of 36 inch water main to accommodate the Old Covington Road expansion-bridge under pass project as well as pipe replacements in intersections.
Collections for the 2017 SPLOST will begin in April and the new 2017 SPLOST Oversight Committee will oversee this funding.